Cat Water pH Balanced Urinary Formula
There are some very normal and natural cat behaviours that can be contributing factors to urinary health problems:
- Domestic cats have the natural tendency to drink very little water, which can lead to them not only being poorly hydrated but can also risk their overall health and urinary tract health
- Cats have a large amount of acidity receptors in their mouths, so they are extremely sensitive to tastes and smells, and particularly to acidic tastes. If their drinking water does not have the correct pH/acidity, the water will taste “not quite right” to the cat when it drinks, leading to the cat being less likely to engage in drinking, and then not consuming the required volume of water
- Cats can be very choosy about how their water is presented to them. For example, they may only drink if the water is provided fresh out of the tap into their bowl every time they drink. So, if continuously refreshed water is not available, the cat is less likely to consume the volume of water needed
These behaviours contribute to cats producing small volumes of highly concentrated urine.
When urine is highly concentrated, there can be an accumulation of a variety of minerals in the urine. If the accumulated minerals are present in the urine, and the pH level of the urine is also too high or too low, crystals or small stones can form, causing discomfort and pain for the cat. In some cases, blockage of the urinary tract can occur.
To support feline urinary health, it is important that the water the cat drinks:
- encourages the cat to drink enough water.
- supports an optimal urine pH that does not support the formation of crystals.
- does not contribute to potential mineral accumulation in the urine.
Catwater Urinary Formula
- should not replace specialized veterinary foods, veterinary treatment or medication prescribed by your veterinarian.
- can assist in the maintenance of urinary health in your cat
- is an excellent complement to foods that are adapted for urinary needs
Use in water fountains and bowls
- Catwater can be used with water fountains and in drinking bowls
- Remember, cats prefer very clean, odourless, fresh water - provide a fresh portion of cat water in the bowl or fountain each day, rather than completely fill the bowl or fountain with a large volume
- Water devices that use activated charcoal filters can cause a small variation in the pH level of Catwater, but it is insignificant.
- Opens in a new window.